Wednesday 6 February 2013

06/02/2013 - THREE HOURS


                I've been here three hours and still nothing's done. I suppose it was the small dusty twisters stealing away with the carpet or maybe it was the dark figures in the corners that might be water coolers or might just be blind spots. I'm not a drinker, nor am I a great thinker. I am a badge and a tie clip and a generally flimsy bit of metal held against over-starched fabric.

                I am the sandwich I dream about on long afternoons-turning-evenings. I am hopeless with my feet. I am walking to a cooler though I could be going ever backwards. I blame the silent hum that passes through these shelves. It has made me idle with a baton.

                Suppose that I am flickering out. Suppose that I am in search of a doorknob that leads to a crisp packet closing. Suppose that I am blinded by dim overhead lighting. Suppose this while I ask myself some questions about today.

                I am a sir and out of ideas worth walking over. My hands and knuckles are failing me and I'm blushing because of this travesty. In a library and not even a bibliophile. I do have a flash light though, so that's something. Eh? Respect me or I'll leave you to your business again. You can't bear that lot, can you? Of course not.

                What is it about ties and women? They always want to preen and clean and rip it all off. Somewhere, put me down before I accept this fate for all men in blue shirts. Matter to me once more.

                My dear, my dear, my dear, my dearest dearly deer. Open to me whilst my hands are tied behind my back. I forgot the handcuffs or I left them with Pete. How sweet is this dementia! The books are swallowing me whole, ingesting me in lovely chunks. I can smell the dust already and it hollows my eyes out. How perfect! I am not yet myself anymore!

                I suppose I should say 'alas' and profess to being a simpleton now. I'm a lad from a block and the chip it came off of. I am an old man with hair like the shore; receding, fucking off West of the hemisphere. I wish I had better ideas to venture at this time but alas it is high noon again and the riddles come pouring out at me. This is brutal to my sensibilities. I will yawn now and yawn again later, considering the climate of this library. I am a territorial nomad and won't stop to shake hands or shake pleasantries with these deadly ring binders. There's tricks galore when no-one looks for them. It is a hope to be so glorious and striped.

                Oh sweet and succulent hanging thing: your prowess makes me oh so posh. Electronic toothpaste tastes like lightning on the helm of a Gingham minister. Blame him sideways and I'll go topsy-turvy for all to see. Blast it. And again. And just you wait for the triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment