Sunday 27 January 2013

What is the 500 Word Nonsense Quota?

As a writer, I need to practice discipline. Discipline usually boils down to writing a certain number of words each day regardless of distractions and general temperament. This is hard.
A practice I've picked up in order to get around this problem is a method called automatic writing. This means that I write down anything and everything that's on my mind at the time of writing and, in doing so, whip my lazy, flabby mind into shape.
Sometimes you find something salvageable from these automatic writing exercises, most of the time it is pure nonsense. Either way it is good for me.
So why make a blog out of what is essentially word salad? Well, it gives me incentive to reach my 500-words-a-day goal. It also provides a world of amusement that only true bloggers can appreciate.
I'll admit it, this blog is going to be pretty egostical.  However, if you're the type of person who likes to scratch their head once in a while (maybe even to reach your own quota) then this is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment